Saturday, March 07, 2009

VS2008 Database Project Deployment Script Failures

On my current project, we’re using a database project to allow us to manage our schema changes. This has helped us keep all of our dev and build boxes in sync, and things are moving along smoothly.

However, there is one quirk that seems to burn me every few weeks. When we have a script failure, I scan through the output window to see where things went wrong. The IDE is even nice enough to let you click through to the failing line so you can figure out where things went wrong.

That’s nice and all, but the script that gets opened is the deployment script, not the actual .sql file that you created earlier. So, I end up making the change and rebuild/deploy only to get the same error, again. By now, when I review the output and realize what I did, I locate the actual post-deployment script file and make my edits there, rebuild/deploy and things work just fine.

How difficult would it have been to make the generated deployment script read-only so I wouldn’t keep getting burned by this quirk? Better yet, why not take me to the actual script file that caused the problem in the first place?

No comments:

Post a Comment